Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Moonshine

I completely forgot about the moonshine we drank Friday night while camping. I don't know how I left this out of my original camping post. Here goes....

Sitting around a glowing fire are myself, my husband, and our camping buddies. We are enjoying good company, cold beer, and then...this woman comes crashing into our campsite. She is carrying a bottle and a shot glass. I would say that there is something unusual about this, but at Many Islands people randomly stop by for a visit. So, this woman that is wearing a dress, maybe a bathing suit cover up, big hat on her head and is not walking straight. Being from the South, she came by to share her wine. She said that her brother-in-law makes wine and it is really good. In the back of my mind I am thinking what kind of wine do you drink as a shot??? I know port wine is served in very small glasses, but not shot glasses. One of my friends took a glass and didn't make any funny faces. She actually said, "oooh, that's good." I figured worst-case scenario I could be like the girls in "Coyote Ugly" that spit there drinks back into their beers. Let me just say, I do NOT do shots. I tend to gag. I take a sip, not bad. It was very sweet, a little thick, and almost tasted like a raisin with a slight burn on the back of your throat. The Shinelady told us that it was plum wine, so I could tell where it got the raisin taste. My only problem is I don't like raisins. oh, wait and I don't do shots. I managed to get the drink down in a very slow and only slightly painful process. we thanked her and she left.

About 20 minutes later.....
I'm starting to feel a buzz. I look over at our neighbors because they are getting a little loud. Shinelady was dancing around the fire in her bathing suit. She is not a woman that I care about seeing in a bathing suit. While it was funny and I felt a little embarassed for her... I could totaly see myself dancing around a fire like in "YaYa Sisterhood" whatever the movie is called. I just wouldn't do it at the campground. I would want to be out of the public eye and I would have to learn the chant, and have a cool hat to wear. Anyway, I have strayed from the shine story. Shinelady comes back again and insists on giving everyone a shot/drink. So I pulled out cups and we all did it. It was the peer pressure. We were drunk and it took us to the finish line. The story behind Shinelady is that she was celebrating her first wedding anniversary. She was with her now husband for 12 years before they got married. (and I thought I waited too long) She kept repeating over and over how she thought the top layer of her wedding cake was going to be green since it had been in the freezer for a year. We tried to explain it to her, but she just didn't get it.

Next morning...
I am cooking breakfast and the men (with no teeth) came over from Shinelady's camp to borrow advil. We ask about her and their response was "she is still not feelin' no pain" (it pains me to type that) Shinelady woke up right after that and came over to show us her cake topper. They had it for breakfast. That is one ritual that Jason and I did not have the opportunity to partake in. (neither did lucky, sorry!) Anyway, it made me realize that there is someone out there for everyone. Man with no teeth and Shinelady made a perfect couple.

Has anyone tried moonshine? Yes, she referred to it as wine, but it was shine.

No comments: