Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Long Days

Yesterday was a very long day. I went to school all day and then my team and I went to a textbook dinner. The textbook company invited all the SCS teachers to Jim's Place for a presentation and dinner. The presentation ran long and we all had to get our dessert to go. We ran back to school for a PTA meeting. I finally came home around 8:30. Tired. I am still tired this morning. And I keep thinking about our schedule for next year. We have 1 day each semester of conferences after school. No big deal, I really want to meet with parents. The only problem is that half the parents will confirm and not show up. Can you imaginge? A teacher is concerned about your child and you can't come to the school for 15 minutes to discuss their future education. We start back to school on Aug. 1st, a Tuesday. Better than July 31st. (Monday) But, we have 2 days on the calander marked (.5) administrative after school hours. These hours are usually when we enter grades, clean up, plan for the next nine weeks. (Really we don't do much of anything, they are stupid.) BUT they are always a half day when we have not been teaching all day. One of these admin days is after school when we have to come back and teach the next day. I really hope I don't have to sit in my room for 4 hours just to make these hours when I could be at home with my husband. I know I will be off 2 months in the summer, but if you add all the hours that we work in 10 months, we have already worked those 2 months as well. And you usually end up working trying to get things organized for the next year. If we are going to go to year long school, just do it. Don't start cutting our time shorter and shorter and making the days longer and longer. I'm tired and I would really love to have the energy to make children of my own. Don't get me started as to how many hours I put in during basketball season. Coaches did more because they practice everyday, but I didn't miss a single game, boys or girls, home or away. I am the #1 fan. (and I sponsor the cheerleaders, so I don't have a choice.)
Have a wonderful day everybody. I will quit complaining and go do something productive. : )

1 comment:

Silly Hily said...

I'm sorry honey! I hope your day gets better and I hope they give you teachers a break!