Thursday, August 31, 2006

That's it, period.

Standing outside my class door..watching students go to their lockers...tired at the end of the day...a girl that appears to have a rat's nest on top of her head approaches me...

Mrs. G.
Yes
um, at the end of every month...i'm going to be having my period.
Oh, um..well, just let me know if you...need to.be.excused to the restroom
(skipping away and smiling broadly) ok, thanks.

I know her appearance had nothing to do with the story, but let me just say
DO YOU LOOK AT YOUR CHILD BEFORE YOU ALLOW THEM TO GO OUT IN PUBLIC?? please notice i didn't use the word ask. i have a daily reminder of the fact that you don't.
You would not believe the children that come to school and look like a homeless rag doll... nappy hair, stained clothes, revealing clothes..I know that not all children have the best home life, but I've met some of these parents. I teach 11/12-year olds not the 3 year olds that are just finding their independence and want to dress themselves. (You know like on the McDonald's commercial with the little girl wearing the big hat and feather boa. that's cute. or silly shoes or a halloween shirt in the middle of February. i understand that.)
Also, note to parents...you may bathe your children now, but please hug them when they get in middle school so that you will know for sure whether or not they learned to bathe themselves. No one wants to sit beside or work in a group with your stinky child. He/she will become an outcast. They will be teased. The teacher will even want to avoid them. (key word: want) It is very difficult to get on to a student when you understand why they won't work with them.
Please tell them that you love them....I don't need to be the only one that they hear it from. Yes, I tell every class EVERY day that no matter what they do, I will still love them all because they are my children. Do you know how difficult that is? All I can say is....3 day weekend!
Shhhh! I secretly love my job. Don't tell.




1 comment:

What The Hell Is This? said...

Ok.. that is just weird.. weird...