Friday, January 20, 2006

Science Class

I don't want to write anything sappy right now and I went to a funeral today. I am going to tell you a short funny story about teaching science.

We started a new section in Life Science one day. It's about animals, adaptations, food chain, etc. Well, I had the students taking turns reading paragraphs out loud. The word ORGANISM is used many times during our lesson. I called on a little girl who is very smart and has excellent pronunciation. She read a few lines while I was sort of day dreaming (this was the 3rd time I had heard this paragraph that day) then I hear her say over and over "ORGASM." My face turned red, and I burst out laughing. I had to hold my book over my face to compose myself. Suprisingly, NONE of my students caught on. I read the rest of the lesson myself that day.

Same girl, different day, different class.....
Discussing an octupus. She is standing in front the class, waving her arms around, and saying "Its TESTACLES are just swinging around and flopping everywhere." The teacher very calmly says, " I think you mean TENTACLES, dear." She then left the classroom and came over to tell me. The boys did snicker on that one. The girls were a bit lost. I teach 6th grade.

I'll try to come up with something good later.

2 comments:

Silly Hily said...

That WAS good!
Mmmmm, I wonder if that girl has very sexual parents or if she's just "well educated." At least none of the other 6th graders caught onto the "orgasm" thing. It would make me feel good that they didn't know what that word means b/c I swear these days, you NEVER know what age kids are starting to do things. It's scary!

What The Hell Is This? said...

lol...
I would have had to cover my face with a book too.. lol